Attn: Install path debaters

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jan 5 03:29:12 UTC 2018

Yo Richard!

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 20:56:58 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 01/04/2018 08:51 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Sure, my MR is trivial: leave as is, except revert the patch that
> > removed the PYTHONPATH guidance to the builder.  Ain't borke, don't
> > fix it.
>
> I think one of the few things we agree on here is that the current
> behavior in master is broken in the following way:
>
> Run this:
> ./waf configure --prefix=/usr/local
>
> If /usr/local is not in sys.path, waf installs the module to
> /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (no "local").

Yup, I agree that is a bug.  Not the bug I thought we were discussing.
We keep jumping around like the five blind men feeling up the elephant.

I must admit to being lost as to how this gets all mixed up in the
PYTHONPATH confusion.

I do have /usr/local in my PYTHONPATH (this sys.path), and I still
have the install issue.  So something odd going on here that has not
been mentioned on devel@ before.  My failure case is not included in
your problem description.

> This is happening because of wafhelpers/fix_python_config.pYy. If that
> is removed, it installs to /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
> instead.

So your MR is to just remove wafhelpers/fix_python_config.py?

Oh, my.  I just looked in that file.  Ugh.

> Do you wish to update your merge request?

Your above problem description does not match the issue that I have.
The issue that caused me to create issue #428.  So since you say your
patch does not apply to the case I have, I can't agree to change my
thoughts without more data.

Now that I know the issue it fixes is an issue I filed I will look at
and test your MR.

Given all the recent work on wafhelpers/fix_python_config.py I'd also be
interested to hear what those workers think.

I've spent way too much time on this today, and much work still to get
done before I can eat dinner.  It has to wait for Friday.

Before I look in the wrong place.  Can you also confirm which MR you are
talking about here?  I thought we were talking bout the MR to embed
locations in build products.