Attn: Install path debaters

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jan 4 22:37:22 UTC 2018

Yo Achim!

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 22:53:15 +0100
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Ian Bruene via devel writes:
> > Did people just not usually use /usr/local/ much in the Eldar
> > Days?
>
> I can't tell you what people did, but on SunOS I did install GNU stuff
> like multiple versions of gcc and emacs there, but not xntpd (the
> predecessor of ntpd).

Also my long term experience.

> The whole /usr/local thing was much more common
> on BSD derived systems anyway, SysV derived like Solaris were more
> likely to use /opt/<pkg> for the same purpose.

Also my long term experience.

>  There were and still
> are quite complicated setups that allow to physically install things
> into different locations and then make them logically appear in other
> places, usually for the purpose of having mutually exclusive programs
> available on a single system anyway (the alternatives system is one
> of the saner examples of this).

The Gentoo eselect system also does this.  It allows me to have multiple
versions of gcc, glibc, vi, sh, php, perl, python, and dozens of other
things, all installed and ready to use with the flip of a switch.

You can't run Gentoo with eselect and all it does for your system.

I have spared this list my long list of reasons why .pth files as
recently envisioned here will break the eselect system as I considered
that too Gentoo specific.  YMMV.