Attn: Install path debaters

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Jan 4 17:44:55 UTC 2018

On 01/04/2018 09:18 AM, Ian Bruene via devel wrote:
> For alternate fixes we have rlaager's (!615) fix. The tradeoffs I see are:
>     bad: the entire concept is a hideous violation of good import
> practices and generally all that is right and proper

I'm not convinced it's actually bad form. Can you elaborate on why you
see this as hideous?

There is a reason that build systems from autoconf to waf support
embedding paths, in the style of @PREFIX@ or @SYSCONFDIR@: it is the
best solution for certain problems. I don't think that embedding the
path to look for *this project's* module is any worse than an
application embedding search paths for its own plugins, images, sounds, etc.

Python's default sys.path is itself built from the embedded copy of
Python's prefix.

--
Richard