1.0.1 and ntpsnmpd

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Feb 27 00:09:22 UTC 2018

On 02/26/2018 09:50 AM, Mark Atwood via devel wrote:
> Does the Debian packaging have it be it's own package?

It's unclear to me what exactly you're asking, so I'll give various
information which may help:

No NTPsec ntpsnmpd has shipped in a released version, so the Debian
package doesn't do anything with it currently, because it doesn't exist.

The ntp package (NTP Classic) does not ship any ntpsnmpd. It explicitly
configures with --without-ntpsnmpd. It does ship a documentation file
for it, presumably for lack of special-casing that.

If ntpsnmpd is experimental and there is no precedent from NTP Classic,
my first inclination is to not bother shipping it at all, for now. That
just punts the problem to the future, though, when it's not marked
experimental.

>From the "d" at the end of the name, I assume ntpsnmpd has to run as a
daemon, as opposed to being invoked as a script by snmpd. Off the top of
my head, I'd probably ship it in a separate package. I assume most
people using ntpd will not want ntpsnmpd.

If that's the route I plan to go, then I'll probably do it sooner,
rather than later, as adding new binary package names requires extra
review (which can take a long time). That way, we start the clock on
ntpsec-snmp (or whatever) while it is still experimental.

--
Richard