What are people putting in /etc/ntp.d/*.conf?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Feb 26 08:17:07 UTC 2018

On 02/25/2018 05:24 PM, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> Is anybody actually using it?  If not, why?  Is it really useful? Do we think
> it will make life easier for packagers/distros?

I'm using it in the Debian package. Specifically, the ntpsec-ntpviz
package ships this:
$ cat /etc/ntp.d/ntpviz.conf
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

The effect is that, by default:
- Installing only the ntpsec package does not log stats. This way, an
install of ntpsec alone doesn't needlessly wear out flash memory, for
example. Obviously, the admin is still free to enable logging.
- Installing both ntpsec and ntpsec-ntpviz does logs stats by default.

--
Richard