Name clash

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sat Feb 17 13:29:06 UTC 2018

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> What's going to happen if a distro packages up our stuff and somebody
> wants to install both our code and ntp classic?

Well if a distro packages both NTP classic and NTPsec, then they would
either:

1) Mark them in their repos as mutually incompatible so you can install
one or the other, but not both.

2) Move both of them into package specific installation roots and
provide a mechanism (via alternatives or similar means) to choose which
one should up at the usual locations as the default.  This is not
typically done for system-level things, but it'd be possible.

3a) Chose one as the default to keep their names as is and rename all the
clashes in the other package.

3b) Instead of just renaming the clashes, rename everything in the
non-default package (e.g. by adding a prefix).

4) You could combine the aproches in 2) and 3) by doing name changes in
both packages, then providing the old names as in 2).

Regards,
Achim.