Out of date chunks in documentation

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Mon Dec 24 20:10:46 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 11:14:47AM -0800, Hal Murray wrote:

> > That still makes this table a maintainence headache.  Can we instead say that
> > we built on modern/supported-by-upstream releases of popular operating
> > systems and distributions.  And we build test on the platforms supported by
> > our CI system.  See https://secure-web.cisco.com/1N2ohoYQV9HB6Eik5aubGlGNBSC-OoyV9dFeOMGXNbouVPsjDL_gYDAvD2A1DWIYGzIgBVNCG3K2UWTaZmjmkW7qvcZ8oxyMr7NhG218JCcGfJcrgtoDdPU69aVmeH6_4Pg8zTi_HQaPK8kM-Uueo05fQvxZaxsOVjelvonabSO7YPOETlk0M37Oyq7ybOaFjA_LcD0ktQf97cRU-i9UFtBwsTkcjDR--Z-tFNwtFmBkKENzYY3wqfQ6HWZlP5Ghbe41U_3viSKMLb1DiNARJ8A/https%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.com%2FNTPsec%2Fntpsec%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2F
> > .gitlab-ci.yml for the specific platforms that we test on.
>
> Two issues:
>
> That only tests building.  We also need to test actually running, and test
> refclocks.  Or at least document how much testing we actually do.

Is there a way that we can fix refclock testing into CI?  If you can describe how we'd run that test (don't worry about the platform details), I can work on a way to integrate it into our pipelines.  Same question for running testing running without refclocks.

https://www.ntpsec.org/supported-platforms.html says "NTPsec builds cleanly on at least..."  There are some references to testing, but they're non-specific.

See https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/yaml/ for documentation on the YAML syntax.

The job names try to be self-evident about what platform/version/feature they're testing.  If I've missed the mark on any, please let me know.  We may want to point the users at https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/pipelines so they can click "Stages" and see the line of jobs from the drop-down?

> Are there any other places where we have the problem of our documentation
> representing a snapshot in time?

Sure.  For example:
https://www.ntpsec.org/plans.html
https://www.ntpsec.org/removal-plan.html