Out of date chunks in documentation

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Mon Dec 24 16:47:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 09:48:53AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
> Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> >
> > We need a mechanism to review/update things occasionally and a list of things
> > that need occasional review.
> >
> > Here is a starter:
> >   https://www.ntpsec.org/supported-platforms.html
> > Under test status, it says:
> >   Fedora 26 and 25 (i686, x86_64)
> > and lots more.
> >
> > We could fix most of that by replacing specific version numbers by something
> > like "supported versions" and maybe mentioning that many distros have a policy
> > of supporting the current release and the previous release.
>
> One way we can dodge around this is by changing those assertions to "version X
> and later".  Forward-compatibility breaks affecting the stuff we use are so
> rare that I think this is safe - and on thoe exceotional occasions they cause
> enough ruckus that we are unlikely not to notice.
>
> What do you think of this policy?

That still makes this table a maintainence headache.  Can we instead say that we built on modern/supported-by-upstream releases of popular operating systems and distributions.  And we build test on the platforms supported by our CI system.  See https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml for the specific platforms that we test on.

Otherwise, we're maintaining data in 2 places and it's going to get out of sync.

Thanks,
-Matt