Out of date chunks in documentation

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Dec 24 14:48:53 UTC 2018

Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:

> We need a mechanism to review/update things occasionally and a list of things
> that need occasional review.
>
> Here is a starter:
>   https://www.ntpsec.org/supported-platforms.html
> Under test status, it says:
>   Fedora 26 and 25 (i686, x86_64)
> and lots more.
>
> We could fix most of that by replacing specific version numbers by something
> like "supported versions" and maybe mentioning that many distros have a policy
> of supporting the current release and the previous release.

One way we can dodge around this is by changing those assertions to "version X
and later".  Forward-compatibility breaks affecting the stuff we use are so
rare that I think this is safe - and on thoe exceotional occasions they cause
enough ruckus that we are unlikely not to notice.

What do you think of this policy?