Why is ntpclients/ntploggps.py in ntpsec rather than gpsd?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Dec 12 23:00:18 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 14:25:17 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> >> Is there reason not to move it to gpsd?  And most gpsd could care
> >> less?  Its only use is with ntpd.
>
> > Maybe because gpsd does not use it?
>
> Maybe somebody would use it if they knew about it.

I can't see any reason why anyone would.  It only has use in connection
with ntpviz.

> Is there any problem with putting it in gpsd?

Yeah, it will be a support nightmare.

> How stable is the API between ntploggps and gpsd relative to the API
> (aka file format) between ntploggps and ntpviz?

Both are very stable.  But I give the win to the gpsd API as it
is better documented and has regression tests.  So another reason to
keep ntploggps and ntpviz together.

> >> This is another tangle similar to the NetBSD/curses mess with
> >> ntpmon.
> > No, that is a whole 'nother level of mess.
>
> Please enlighten me.

I prefer not to step into messes that I'm not ready to clean up.  BSD
has been giving me headaches for a week, I need a break.

> ntpmon doesn't work if you don't have curses installed.
> ntploggps doesn't work if you don't have gpsd installed.
>
> What''s the difference?

None, at that level of detail.  So, what is your point?

> > Nope, it is important for ntpviz users to have it.  It should be a
> > full partner in NTPsec.
>
> Does/should ntpviz work without gpsd?

Yes, very well.  But ntpviz has the most value with stratum 1 servers,
and they are almost all gpsd based.

> Is gpsd logging any more important to ntpviz than temperature logging?

Nope.  I'd say about the same utility.  Which is pretty useful.

> There are several temp loggers in contrib.  Why shouldn't ntploggps
> fit in there with them?

I'd rather move the temp loggers out of contrib.  Distro maintainers
tend to ignore the stuff in contrib.  When it is not in a package the
utility to most users is nil.