[ntp:hackers] u-blox reference clock driver

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Aug 13 20:19:06 UTC 2018

Yo Achim!

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 22:06:50 +0200
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> > I've emailed Lucas for the driver code.  No response.
>
> Uh, it's in the Git repository he linked to, which is a fork of NTP
> classic with his driver added.  What else are you looking for?

I'm looking for a bunch of stuff.  Sent to Lucas in a private email.

No need to clutter this list with "what-if's".

> > So, just guessing, from what I think I understand in the pdf:
> >
> > Needs the UBX-TIM-TM2 message.  Section 3.6
> >
> > UBX-TIM-TM2 works like a TICC on EXTINT0. Section 3.6
>
> No, it works on both EXTINT inputs.

Don't read things into my words that I did not say.  I said Lucas said
in his paper that he used EXTINT0.  I did not say other things could not
work.

> > That also describes measuring EXTINT0 with UBX-TIM-TP2.  So I think
> > that is nailed down.  Sort of.
>
> TP2 is something else entirely.  TP2 is for getting the fractional
> error of the next PPS pulse out of the module.

Typo, as already pointed out by someon else: I meant UBX-TIM-TM2.

> You don't want an FTS module for this.  They are for something
> entirely different and for that the price is actually quite good
> compared to the competing options.

I' like to see an a/b of the M8F against the M8T before making any
judgements.

For a lone time people kept telling me the M8T was better at PPS than
the M8N, but my tests show otherwise.  Talk is cheap.  Data rules.

Which is not to say there are not some cool things in the M8T, just that
the PPS is not better.