HOWTO: scons gpsd build incorrect and ntpshmmon gives no data

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Wed Aug 8 04:35:15 UTC 2018

On 8/7/2018 20:15 PM, MIKE MAJOR via devel wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I found another issue and then hit a hard stop.
>
> In the HOWTO section "Live-test the GPS", the reader is instructed to
> build gpsd using:
> |$scons timeservice=yes magic_hat=yes nmea0183=yes
> fixed_port_speed=9600 fixed_stop_bits=1 When running gpsmon
> /dev/gpsd0, it is expected that there are scrolling lines at the
> bottom showing raw data. I didn't get that. Cross checking with the
> clockmaker script showed that 2 options are missing from the HOWTO
> text: ublox=yes mtk3301=yes I did a scons --clean and rebuilt adding
> the 2 options and voila, scrolling raw data at the bottom. Paul, can
> you submit a fix for that too? |
|When you say that you 'didn't get that' - what exactly happened? You
ran gpsmon /dev/gpsd0, and it just returned to the prompt? Or garbage
onscreen? or....?

Of note, I'm a minor contributor here - Not a coder, just a sysadmin,
and avocational wordsmith. Gary, esr, etc would be the coding magicians.

> |Here is where I hit the hard stop. Upon running ntpshmmon, there is
> no data available. Up until this point, I would say that the build was
> going well. Everything met expectation (after adding the 2 scons build
> options). The only output I get is the ntpshmmon version and the line
> showing the column headers but no scrolling data. |

When you say 'there is no data available' is that message what was
displayed onscreen, or something else?

Regarding using the Debian package, Gary already answered, but it's also
worthwhile building it because - even as excellent as Debian is at
getting new stuff distributed "quickly" (in distro time), the git repo
has the code that's still sizzling when it's put on your plate.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com