HOWTO: curses-dev dependency not handled correctly

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Tue Aug 7 03:15:40 UTC 2018

On 8/6/2018 20:00 PM, MIKE MAJOR via devel wrote:
> This evening I was reading through the Clockmaker script closer. I
> noticed that the prerequisite ncurses-dev is not a real debian
> package. I've read ahead in the HOWTO text and I see that later the
> package ncurses5-dev is asked to be installed.
>
> I believe both of these to be incorrect. ncurses{,5}-dev are not real
> packages in debian. ncurses-dev is provided by libncurses5-dev.
Hi Mike,

Good catch. I thought that I had corrected that in one of the diffs I
sent to ESR, but I only compounded the incongruity. You are correct -
the libncurses5-dev Debian package is required. I can throw a diff at
Eric now - or if he's 'watching' perhaps he'll put the fix in presently.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com