ntpsec | ntpq unable to find python libraries on macOS 10.13 (#396)

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Tue Sep 26 19:58:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> I've restored that magic link.
>
> It fell to ab attempt to stop creating a now unneeded magic link in the
> source part of the tree.  I won't try to re-fix that before release.

That code *used to* create magic links in the source tree, but I changed
it to put them in the build tree instead.  Thus, it's working as intended,
and isn't a "fix later" issue.

Since it doesn't create the source-tree links any more, it also doesn't
remove them.  If you saw them, they may have been leftovers from an
earlier run.  Remember, "git clean -dxf" is your friend. :-) That seemed
like a sufficiently minor issue that it wasn't worth leavling the rmoval
code in place for a while.  Maybe that was the wrong choice.

The details of how it makes the symlinks could be improved.  Although waf
has a feature for creating symlinks, it only works at install time.  It
has no built-in mechanism to create them at build time.  There's probably
a way to make a custom builder that provides the missing capability, which
could then be used instead of the post-build hook, but that's something
for later.

Fred Wright