Python Library Cleanups

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Tue Sep 26 04:24:39 UTC 2017

On 25/09/17 21:56, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 20:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
> Fred Wright via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
>> 1) Waf misuses get_python_lib() in a way that often gets the wrong
>> result, with the effect of installing the libraries in a location
>> where Python doesn't look for them.  This led to various
>> inappropriate recommendations to set PYTHONPATH.  PYTHONPATH is a
>> special developer kludge, analogous to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which should
>> never be set in normal operation.  Code that depends on setting
>> PYTHONPATH isn't production-ready.
>
> The default gentoo PYTHONPATH onlly looks for system installed
> python libs.  We don't want to install NTPsec python files in the
> system reserved directories.  Thus PYTHONPATH is the only solution.

I sincerely hope that Gentoo is not that broken. Implementing this
misfeature would require patching the Python interpreter.  By default
Python looks for modules in the "site-packages" directory, with a self
descriptive name.  Where else would you like to install NTPSec python
modules?

> Can you split apart your MR?  It addresses different issues and
> at least #1 is probably not gonna happen.

Delivering a 1.0 release that requires fiddling with PYTHONPATH to use
the application would make the project look like it is run by amateurs.
I think that is not the impression you want to give.

Cheers,
Daniele