Python Library Cleanups

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Sep 26 03:56:56 UTC 2017

Yo Fred!

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 20:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> 1) Waf misuses get_python_lib() in a way that often gets the wrong
> result, with the effect of installing the libraries in a location
> where Python doesn't look for them.  This led to various
> inappropriate recommendations to set PYTHONPATH.  PYTHONPATH is a
> special developer kludge, analogous to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which should
> never be set in normal operation.  Code that depends on setting
> PYTHONPATH isn't production-ready.

The default gentoo PYTHONPATH onlly looks for system installed
python libs.  We don't want to install NTPsec python files in the
system reserved directories.  Thus PYTHONPATH is the only solution.

> 2) The in-tree testing setup wasn't fully functional.  In the process
> of fixing that, I noticed that it was set up to apply the hacks to the
> *source* tree, which is inconsistent with the project's organizational
> philosophy of keeping build products out of the source tree.  I've
> reworked that, and it now works for all Python versions and handles
> the tests as well as the clients, but the switch to the build-tree
> orientation has operational impact (on developers, not users):

What was not functional?  I'm all for keeping the source tree clean
and building in the build directories.

> 1) The ntpd/version.h file.  This is probably fairly easy to fix, but
> when my quickie attempt didn't work I just left it for later.  This
> is the only remaining use of the 'clean' part of afterparty().

Can you file an issue for that?

> 2) The autorevision cache.  That whole autorevision thing needs work,
> since right now it's not possible to build outside a git repo without
> taking extra steps to create and install the cache file.  And
> contrary to what's implied by the documentation, it's not
> specifically a cross-building issue.  Either autorevision needs some
> sort of non-git fallback (a la GPSD), or there needs to be some
> better way to populate a non-git directory for a working build.
> Anyway, I left that stuff alone for now.

Can you make a new issue for that?

> MR coming.

Can you split apart your MR?  It addresses different issues and
at least #1 is probably not gonna happen.

Plus these are most likely too late for 1.0.  We are in the final
testing phases now.