Default config file behavior - request for comment

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Sep 21 06:12:43 UTC 2017

>         0 192.168.1.22/32
>           ntpport interface ignore
(and friends)

> I'm having trouble mapping that to my mental model of how restriction blocks
> work, which maked me nervous about modifying mearby code.

There is code that adds rules like that to keep ntpd from getting time from
itself.

from create_interface in ntpd/ntp_io.c

         * Blacklist our own addresses, no use talking to ourself
         */
        SET_HOSTMASK(&resmask, AF(&iface->sin));
        hack_restrict(RESTRICT_FLAGS, &iface->sin, &resmask,
                      RESM_NTPONLY | RESM_INTERFACE, RES_IGNORE, 0);