Default config file behavior - request for comment

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Sep 21 05:36:22 UTC 2017

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > Yes, we could keep tinkering with stuff like this.  But I think it's time to
> > squash whaetever tracker issues we can, then stand away and *launch* the
> > damn rocket.
>
> You are the one who brought it up.

I am.  Perfectionism on my part.  I'm a bit jittery just now, seven days
from release.

> What would you have done if somebody we didn't know had filed a bug report
> with that content?

Not sure, because I'm still not certain what the existing code is doing.
When I run ntpq reslist against a config that declares nothing but athentication
passwords

-----------------------------------
keys /usr/local/etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey 10
controlkey 10
-----------------------------------

this is what I see:

   hits    addr/prefix or addr mask
           restrictions
         0 192.168.1.22/32
           ntpport interface ignore
         0 127.0.0.1/32
           ntpport interface ignore
         1 0.0.0.0/0

         0 fe80::56a0:50ff:febb:62d0/128
           ntpport interface ignore
         0 2001:470:e34c:2:56a0:50ff:febb:62d0/128
           ntpport interface ignore
         0 ::1/128
           ntpport interface ignore
         0 ::/0

I'm having trouble mapping that to my mental model of how restriction
blocks work, which maked me nervous about modifying mearby code.