What is the expected lifetime of code we ship?

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Fri Sep 15 19:43:08 UTC 2017

On 9/15/17 12:16, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> My straw man is that we will support our current code in all versions of
> major OSes that are supported by the vendor.  But I haven't figured out what
> "support" means.  Does it include old versions?  How old?
>
> What happens to conservative organizations that are still (happily?) running
> an OS version that is no longer supported because it works and they don't
> want to rock the boat?  (or don't have the skills to upgrade)

Speaking only from my perspective as only a sysadmin, for a core
application like timekeeping, I wouldn't expect support to be valid for
more than three years, at least in respect to feature upgrades. *Maybe*
five years for critical security updates.

This from an admin who only a year ago took a dust-riddled strictly
internal server (that I inherited) and upgraded it from etch to lenny to
squeeze to wheezy.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com