Tinkerboard w/ TinkerOS 2.0.1

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Sep 3 17:52:58 UTC 2017

I've bumped my TinkerBoard up to the latest official distro (based on
Stretch now) and took some notes of what I've done along the way.

** Asus TinkerBoard
*** TinkerOS 2.0.1
    - change password for linaro & copy SSH key
    - sudo hostname tinkerboard
    - sudo vi /etc/hosts /etc/hostname # change hostname from linaro-alip to tinkerboard
    - uname -a # Linux tinkerboard 4.4.71+ #1 SMP Thu Aug 17 00:28:01 CST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
    - sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -us dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove
    - sudo apt-get purge anacron
    - sudo apt-get install emacs cpufrequtils pps-tools util-linux setserial miniterm picocom python-serial rsync cron git
    - sudo apt-mark hold ntp # install ntpsec over existing scaffolding
    - sudo vi /etc/default/cpufrequtils # set governor userspace @ fixed frequency 1.2GHz
    - sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/99-navspark.rules
    - sudo vi /etc/ntp.conf /etc/ntp.keys
    - sudo dpkg reconfigure locales # activate a UTF8 locale
    - echo LC_MESSAGES=POSIX | sudo tee -a /etc/default/locale # keep messages sane
    - echo iface wlan0 inet manual | sudo tee -a /etc/network/interfaces.d/wlan0
    - sudo systemctl mask wpa_supplicant
    - sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    - git clone https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec.git # hangs with git: transport
    - sudo rm /var/run/ntp.conf.dhcp /etc/dhcp/dhclient-exit-hooks.d/ntp
    - mkdir -p /var/log/ntpstat && chown ntp.ntp /var/log/ntpstat
    - ntpsec
      + sudo ./buildprep
      + ./waf configure --refclock=nmea,pps,local,generic,shm --prefix=/usr --disable-debug

Still no sign of PPS via GPIO, I might try Armbian later to see if it's
available there since I don't need the GPU and WLAN anyway.  I've
finally found a description of how to get the devicetree extracted from
the boot files and there are some examples from Armbian on how to do
devicetree overlays.  Not sure if that would help getting a pps_gpio
device off the ground since I don't know if the module is compiled in
(it's not available in the module directory, so either it's not
configured at all or compiled in).

Otherwise this was going a lot smoother than the first install (version
1.4) and even the Ethernet LEDs now work correctly.

I will need to upgrade the three RasPi to Stretch as well.  At least the
RasPi 1B will not be an in-place upgrade since the SD card is too small
(maybe I'll copy it to a larger one and extend the fs).  But I might
just install Raspian lite from scratch on all three of them.

Regards,
Achim.