Let's get back to work

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Oct 17 10:37:22 UTC 2017

Our week of downtime has elapsed.  Matt got in the first commit this
morning, removing some code (yay for removing code).

Obviously the first thing we oufght to clean up is the FHS/library
path issue. Also Mark and I need to test the new release script

After that...I'd like to plan for a 1.1 in a roughly 90-day
timeframe. That's relatively short in order to get the build fix out.
Also I want people to know that we're not going to go off the radar
for another 2.5 years.

Let's try to figure out what we're going to focus on. If you have
a feature you'd like us to do next, reply with a proposal.  We'll
put them in a priority opder and start working.

Some possibilities I see:

>From Daniel, the data-hiding patch

>From Ian, the SNMP daemon.

>From Gary, rethinking initial jitter computation

>From me: Local monitoring mode to measure and graph the offet
between a noselected GPS and NTP time.

Other possibilities welcomed.

.. a government and its agents are under no general duty to
provide public services, such as police protection, to any
particular individual citizen...
        -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)