Resolution of the library-path mess

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Sat Oct 7 06:35:58 UTC 2017

On 06/10/17 18:47, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:

>> Debian solves the problem of installing user components in the system
>> path creating a dist-libraries along the site-libraries path in the
>> python module folder.
>
> Uh, yeah.  Pretty much universal.  Except you left out the sort of
> details we are discussing.  There are MANY site-linraries in MANY
> python module folders, all used by the SAME python interpreter.  This
> discussion is about which of those is correct, and whick is not.

This is true only for patched up python installations. Stock python does
not do that, that is not documented, and is absolutely not standard.
Please point me to the official python documentation that states that a
python interpreter installed in $prefix/bin/ looks for modules outside
$prefix.  Here is the documentation I read:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/site.html#module-site

>> The python way to avoid the clash is to use virtual environments,
>
> Oh, funny.  When did we veer into comedy?  Let's not.

I think you don't understand what a python virtual environment is.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/venv.html

But you and your mates may be too smart to think there is may be
something you can learn.

And this is going to be my last contribution to this mailing list.

Cheers,
Dan