Resolution of the library-path mess

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Oct 7 00:47:42 UTC 2017

Yo Daniele!

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 18:37:53 -0600
Daniele Nicolodi via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> The reason is that a python interpreter cannot assume that any other
> path, outside the one in which it has been installed belongs to him.

Uh, no.  In fact, nothing outside of the base python 'belongs' to
the installed python.

> You replied that this is not true,

Yup.

> because the path are versioned with
> the python major and minor version number.

Uh, no.

> Debian solves the problem of installing user components in the system
> path creating a dist-libraries along the site-libraries path in the
> python module folder.

Uh, yeah.  Pretty much universal.  Except you left out the sort of
details we are discussing.  There are MANY site-linraries in MANY
python module folders, all used by the SAME python interpreter.  This
discussion is about which of those is correct, and whick is not.

> The python way to avoid the clash is to use virtual environments,

Oh, funny.  When did we veer into comedy?  Let's not.