Resolution of the library-path mess

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Oct 2 04:14:16 UTC 2017

> > On most systems this will do the right thing.
>
> Which systems don't work right and/or what are we supposed to do there?

Under my Ubuntu system, /usr/local/lib/python-X.Y already exists.  Under
some others, including Genooo, it doesn't.  In the latter case, this
directory needs to be manually created so that

1. Installations frpm source don't step on  /usr/lib/python-X.Y

2. The layout is FHS-compliant.

> I think the documentation needs more work in this area.  A separate file may
> be appropriate.

I'm a lumper rather than a splitter in cases like this. Separtate files
have an unfortunate tendency to never get found.

> Where does FHS think we should install out code?  Why?
>
> Are there 2 cases?  Developer mode and packaging for system distribution?

There are two cases. User-installed code and binaries are supposed to
go under /usr/local/X; stuff from packages goes under /usr/X, where X
= {bin, lib}.

> Comments on packaging/packaging.txt
>
> > == ntp.conf installation =
> > The reason this is so is that NTPsec does not yet have an authorized
> > pool group of its own. This may change in the future.
>
> Even if we have a pool group, I don't think we should smash an existing
> ntp.conf

Agreed.

> I think a warning message would be better than installing a default.

To be revisited when we have a pool group.