Heads up: systemd-timesyncd on Raspberian lite

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Nov 26 08:57:10 UTC 2017

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> I finally figured out that systemd-timesyncd was also running and messing
> with the clock.  It's all downhill from there.

That problem has been noted elsewhere:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/305643/ntpd-vs-systemd-timesyncd-how-to-achieve-reliable-ntp-syncing

> Raspberian-lite doesn't come with ntp.  I haven't figured out how/what
> timesyncd actually does.  It may coexist with ntp if you install ntp from the
> distro.  There is a man page, but I didn't see anything interesting.  If
> anybody knows what it does, please clue me/us in.

https://manpages.debian.org/testing/systemd/systemd-timesyncd.8.en.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-timesyncd

TL;DR: It's an SNTP client of unknown quality, just like all the other
NIH syndrome stuff that systemd bestowed upon the world.

Regards,
Achim.