Heads up: systemd-timesyncd on Raspberian lite

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Nov 26 07:49:51 UTC 2017

I was setting up ntpsec on a Raspberry Pi.  Things got confused.  It looked
like another instance of the drift stuck at 500 ppm bug, issue 44
  https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/issues/44
but things got even more confused when I tried to gather more info.

I finally figured out that systemd-timesyncd was also running and messing
with the clock.  It's all downhill from there.

Raspberian-lite doesn't come with ntp.  I haven't figured out how/what
timesyncd actually does.  It may coexist with ntp if you install ntp from the
distro.  There is a man page, but I didn't see anything interesting.  If
anybody knows what it does, please clue me/us in.