u-blox Stationary Mode

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Nov 12 13:15:27 UTC 2017

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> I would take a patch adding "set stationary mode" as a driver capability,
> filling it in for uBlox (some other devices have the capability) and adding
> a gpsctl option to ship it to the device.

Switching to this mode generally only works on timing receivers and gets
ignored or errored otherwise.

> The resaon I'd take this is that it's good for timekeeping setups. In
> stationary mode you can get time with fewer sats visible.

It can also be horrible if you have a poor antenna placement and lots of
multipath reception.  There's also the implication that you actually
have a known-good surveyed position available and locked into the GPS
for it to be useful.

Regards,
Achim.