u-blox Stationary Mode

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Nov 12 12:30:27 UTC 2017

Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> There was some discussion on the gpsd-users list a few years ago about
> setting the ublox into "stationary mode":
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gpsd-users/2013-11/msg00002.html
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gpsd-users/2013-08/msg00007.html
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but I think I finally have that working, by running
> the following before starting gpsd (ignore line wrapping in this email):
> gpsctl -t 'u-blox' -b -x
> '\x06\x24\xFF\xFF\x02\x03\x00\x00\x00\x00\x10\x27\x00\x00\x05\x00\xFA\x00\xFA\x00\x64\x00\x2C\x01\x00\x3C\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00'
> /dev/ttyAMA0
>
> Oddly, despite setting the proper type with -t, gpsctl still attempts
> some type probing (which can be seen with -D 5).
>
> With it set, the Speed value in cgps seems to be lower (typically 0.2
> mph or less). Without it, it tends to be a bit higher.
>
> I'm guessing this won't actually do anything useful for ntpd accuracy,
> but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to do more testing.

I would take a patch adding "set stationary mode" as a driver capability,
filling it in for uBlox (some other devices have the capability) and adding
a gpsctl option to ship it to the device.

The resaon I'd take this is that it's good for timekeeping setups. In
stationary mode you can get time with fewer sats visible.