Python library installation

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 7 04:57:29 UTC 2017

> Simple, Distro installed stuff goes in /usr.  User installed stuff goes in /
> usr/local/.  Nice clean separation.  Been taht way since I learned UNIX in
> the early 1980's.

If it was as simple as that, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If stuff goes into /usr/local/, what do I have to do in order to use it?  I
think there are two cases: a typical user typing on their terminal, and the
sysadmin who wants his system to use it.

I think the problem area causing troubles was that PYTHONPATH was required
and/or some people were trying to avoid that.