Getting things moving again

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Nov 4 23:33:31 UTC 2017

Ian Bruene via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> Current tasks that I see are:
>
> * Filling out the MIB.
>
> * Implementing the rest of the packet types.
>
> * "UI", aka. allowing the daemon to use different communication channels
> with the master agent, expanded logging, etc.
>
> I believe it is realistic.
>
> >   Is there any support you're not getting that you'll need
> >   to get this done.
>
> The first two are dependent on my understanding of how SNMP/AgentX works,
> the potential blocker I previously had *just* clicked yesterday (how
> sequences are implemented). This means I need to rethink the architecture
> slightly, but I'm pretty sure I know how to make that work.
>
> Aside from that the major issues are my inexperience in implementing this
> type of software (something that solves itself as I look for information and
> do tests against the master agent), and the mismatches between what the
> NTPv4-MIB wants and what data I can get from mode 6. The size of the latter
> problem is currently unknown.

None of this report surprises me even a little bit.  You're about where
I was expecting; that is good.

Carry on.  Ask for help when you need it.  If you begin to think you
can't ship by early January, let us know so we can help you more, and
in that case do *not* feel you have failed.  I handed you this problem
and that deadline to be not-quite-too-hard; I might have mis-estimated
and that would not be your fault.

That said, my confidence in your ability to handle this is pretty strong.