Getting things moving again

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 22:55:44 UTC 2017

On 11/04/2017 04:54 PM, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
> * I would like us to plan on a short-cycle 1.1, to land early January,
>    with SNMP support as the big new feature. Ian: is this a realistic
>    timeframe?

Current tasks that I see are:

* Filling out the MIB.

* Implementing the rest of the packet types.

* "UI", aka. allowing the daemon to use different communication channels
with the master agent, expanded logging, etc.

I believe it is realistic.

>    Is there any support you're not getting that you'll need
>    to get this done.

The first two are dependent on my understanding of how SNMP/AgentX
works, the potential blocker I previously had *just* clicked yesterday
(how sequences are implemented). This means I need to rethink the
architecture slightly, but I'm pretty sure I know how to make that work.

Aside from that the major issues are my inexperience in implementing
this type of software (something that solves itself as I look for
information and do tests against the master agent), and the mismatches
between what the NTPv4-MIB wants and what data I can get from mode 6.
The size of the latter problem is currently unknown.

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A
Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb