ISC_PLATFORM_USEBACKTRACE

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed May 31 07:33:47 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 31 May 2017 00:12:21 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> >> Is there a way to get gdb to turn them into symbols?
> > Nope, not with gdb.
>
> google says that print /a <expression> should do what I want.
>
> It seems to work for me, but my PCs are way smaller than your hex
> numbers.

I'm pretty sure we are not talking about the same thing.

> Please poke around a bit and see if you can get it to print
> anything sensible.

That way lies madness,  We are not even talking apples and oranges.

> devel at ntpsec.org said:
> > Pretty unlikely you are running a binary different from the binary
> > you have in front of you.  :-)
>
> I was thinking of the case where we are trying to debug a version
> that gets shipped by a distro and has the symbols stripped.

Thatn yuo are toast.

> > So I wanted to see what backtrace() did with a seccomp fault, but
> > now I see that even though I have seccomp in my kernel, and
> > compiled in, that I can not trigger a seccomp fault, even if I
> > remove syscalls that I know ntpd uses...
>
> It's probably something simple.
>
> grep for seccomp in your log file.  There should be something like:
>   27 May 15:12:45 ntpd[662]: sandbox: seccomp enabled.

Yep, I have had that for a while.

> Check your config.h for
>   #define HAVE_SECCOMP_H 1

Yep, I have had that for a while.

> You need --enable-seccomp
> That needs libseccomp-devel or whatever your distro calls it, but waf
> should crash if it can't find it.

Yep, I have had that for a while.

And, I added print statements so I know all the seccomp calls are
made and seem to behave as expected.  But no way can I force a seccomp fail.