First real bug

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Mar 29 08:48:34 UTC 2017

> We have an interesting problem.  gitlab issues are not connected to our mail
> system.  Your comment above would not be seen unless somebody signed up for
> the everything-from-issues option.

I think that changes onder at least three circumstances:

1. You are the bug assignee

2. You are tagged in the comment - that is, if I say
@garyedmundsmiller in a comment Gary is subscribed to the thread.

3, You comment on the thread.

> Your previous comment (different issue) on how big to make a patch or set of
> patches would have been better if it went to devel.

Hm.  I thought of it as instruction to Ian, my new junior apprentice. I guess
I could work up a version for the Hacking Guide.

> Personally, I think the gitlab issues mail is crappy.  It sends in both plain
> text and html.  The signal/noise is really low.  And when somebody closes an
> issue, the comment goes as a separate message to add even more clutter.

I agree these are defects, though they probably bother me less than they
bother you. Alas, we don't have a way to fix them.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.