Request for design critique - configuration directories

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Mar 23 22:19:00 UTC 2017

Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de>:
> Eric S. Raymond writes:
> > 1. First, ntp.conf in the default location - or wherever it's set by
> > the -c option - is parsed.
>
> I very slightly lean in the direction of just ignoring that file
> altogether unless explicitly forced to be read via an option.

No. That would gratuitously break compatibility with no-refclock
installations that already have a working ntp.conf (or have one
generated by dhcp).  There's no reason not to just let that case keep
working.

> > 4. Here's the tricky part.  Not every file is interpreted by every
> > program.  Initially, only files with the extensions ".ntpd" and
> > ".refclockd" are interpreted by ntpd. Other files are skipped.
>
> Please no.  If you must, consider doing something like fontconfig
> (conf.avail vs. conf.d) and have two directories that are traversed for
> ntpd and refclockd, respectively.

My model here is the way apache2 config snippets work.  What's your
actual issue with it?

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.