lfpinit() signed or unsigned?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Mar 22 10:09:35 UTC 2017

Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de>:
> >  * Internally, this type is sometimes used for time offsets.  In that
> >  * context it is interpreted as signed and can only express offsets
> >  * up to a half cycle. Offsets are normally much, much smaller than that;
> >  * for an offset to have a value even as large as 1 second would be
> >  * highly unusual.
>
> Maybe change "cycle" to "NTP era"?  I'm not sure "NTP era" is (also)
> used as a time interval yet, but if not we'd need to define a proper
> term for it.  What is mentioned in the NTP FAQ referenced above as NTP
> epoch should better be called "NTP era 0" to make it clear that it's
> cyclical.

The calendar code uses "cycle" in this sense when emphasizing the
modular-arithmetic aspect of the computation.  "NTP era" is used
in the sense of some particlar cycle (usually numbered) in the
documentation, also as a synonym for "cycle".

We can't fix NTF's FAQ, alas.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.