Future of 32 bit time_t?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Mar 14 02:24:41 UTC 2017

> What happens for read/write times in disk metadata?  Are they just assuming
> it's unsigned so it will last another 68 years?

No.  There's nothing special about disk-metadata timestamps on any Unix I've
ever seen; they're just the local time_t type, whatever that is.

Checking...oh, that's interesting. Since 2.6, Linux puts a struct timespec
there, with some backward-compatibility macros. Your creation/mod/stat
bits can have nanosecond resolution; who knew?

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.