A talk on NTPsec

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Mar 13 21:42:44 UTC 2017

Mark Atwood writes:
> Which GPS receiver puck are you going to use?
>
> You and your audience can buy GPS receiver pucks at
> https://www.etsy.com/shop/Fallenpegasus

The NaviSys works fine even over USB on the rasPi.  There's a ublox-8
based one that you could mod for PPS out.  They don't actually solder in
the inverting driver that the more expensive ones with PPS out have, but
that's good since the output from the chip is positive polarity, so
easier to hook up to the rasPi.  It is a really tiny pad to solder to,
so I haven't yet modded mine beyond opening the casing (besides I would
need a second GPIO PPS input, which I haven't figured out how to create
yet).  Ublox-8 requires a patch to get it recognized automatically if
you use gpsd (just copy the entry for uBlox-6 and edit the obvious
numbers to read "8" instead).

Best bang-for-buck is still the Navspark mini, $15 including the antenna
if you buy the six-pack ($6 for the module and $9 for the antenna).

Regards,
Achim.