lfpinit() signed or unsigned?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Mar 9 19:12:08 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 20:38:33 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > Does lfpinit() need to return a signed?  Or should the parameters to
> > lfpinit() annd be unsigned?  I'm guessing the later, but I'm new to
> > that part of the code...
>
> I think both parameters should be unsigned.

Good, we agree, I'll move forward on that.

> If you want a negative answer, you need to think about it.  What does
> lfpinit(-3,3) mean?  I think that will be different from -lfpinit(3,3)

It gets worse.  Looks like l_fp needs to be int64_t, not uint64_t.
Sometimes l_fp's are subtracted to get an offset.

And weird things happen in lfp_intv_to_tspec() to guess if l_fp is
unsigned or signed...

Everything still fits.  At least until 2038. 7FFFFFFFu is 2147483647
which as a time_t is "Mon Jan 18 19:14:07 PST 2038".

Otherwise -Wsign-conversion does not complain about a lot.  My goal
is to get those warnings all fixed.