Repository surgery is complete

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Mar 7 10:53:51 UTC 2017

> > If you have any difficulties with the alterered repo, please report them.
>
> I did a git pull and all seemed happy.  Actually, I did two, one for my local
> unaltered copy of gitlab and a second from there to my working copy which had
> some changes.  Both seemed happy.
>
> Is that what you expect?

That was the optimistic scenario.

> Will the same thing happen after you introduce changes to code?

Yes.  I don't expect grafting on a new branch to affect pulls to master.

> I'm missing the big picture.  What is the main goal?  I see two interesting
> possibilities.  One is to update the bk->git work that you did way back at
> the start of the project.  The other is to track their updates, or at least
> the parts that we decide we want.

I believe Mark's goals are (a) to make it easy for Classic developers to work
with us. and (b) to make it easier for us to track post-fork development of
Classic. Both are accomplished of we make it easy to cherry-pick commits off
a Classic branch.

>                                    I assume that will take a lot of manual
> work when they make a change in an area that we have changed and with things
> like the l_fp work that's likely to cover a lot of code.  But maybe git is
> smarter than I expect.

Alas, git probably isn't smarter than you expect.  I expect the main utility
from *my* point of view will be to identify bug fixes we want to cross-port,
but I don't expect that to be trivial in any case.

> Do they both happen together?  Does the bk->git update just turn into a
> branch that gets ignored unless somebody wants to go looking there?  ...

That is correct. I expect the end product to be an ntf-stable branch
proceeding from the fork point.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.