Proposed argument changes to ntpq (fixing bug #319)

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Jun 9 03:11:50 UTC 2017

Ian Bruene via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:

> On 06/08/2017 05:29 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> >NTPsec does not use Python's getopt(). It uses argparse().
>
> So the real alternatives here are:
>
> 1. Have the dual -l/-L flags
>
> 2. Convert ntpq from getopt to argparse

Ian, I'm going to mutter that I think argparse is overengineered and
baroque, and then assign you to 1. do an evaluation of the alternatuves
to devel list, and 2. make a decision and explain it.

This is a training exercise; you will need to learn to navigate
these kinds of tradeoffs (KISS vs. featurefulness) in the future.
I am less concerned with what decision you make than with the
quality of your fact-gathering and reasoning.

It is possible that I will override your decision, but unlikely:
one of the things that makes this a good exercise is that it
is not a slam-dunk in either direction.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.