sys_fuzz

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Jan 24 22:44:06 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:40:13 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > You gotta squint real hard to see that as stiction, but not worth=20
> > debating the proper word.  So it may have mattered back then, but
> > do we need to carry this legacy code.
>
> Stiction is when something that should go smoothly goes in jumps.
> That seems like a reasonable description of a clock that gets updated
> by timer ticks with no interpolation.

Fair enough.  We need our own dictionary.

> > The has nothing to do with clock steps, this has to do with how
> > fast the clock can be read.
>
> That may be what a comment, but I'm pretty sure the idea is to help
> with the case of a clock that takes big steps.

According to my reading of the bug, the sys_fuzz is just for a nonce in
the LSB of network timestamps.  The rest of the code around it is
to ensure monotonically increasing.  Also some hint it may help
loop stability.

Sadly the Bug comments do not match up with the actual code very well.