PYTHONPATH follies

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Jan 23 20:50:19 UTC 2017

Hal, you wrote this:

  Some/many OS distros won't find our installed python libraries.
  Your shell will need something like this:
    export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
  CentOS 6 is using python 2.6
    export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages
  (I put it in my .bashrc)

I believe I've traced this to a minor bug in waf.  See

https://github.com/waf-project/waf/issues/1897

If my diagnosis is correct, you'll find that the unaltered PYTHONPATH
on platforms where you have this problem is pointing at something like
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages - please confirm.

Thomas is usually pretty good about fixing this sort of thing quickly.

Morality is always the product of terror; its chains and
strait-waistcoats are fashioned by those who dare not trust others,
because they dare not trust themselves, to walk in liberty.
	-- Aldous Huxley