Big endian success

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 23 03:10:42 UTC 2017

> Is this to test endianness? Mac’s have not been big endian (PowerPC) since 2006.

That's what I wanted to do and why I got an old one.

> I’m glad to load whatever OS is desired...

I used Debian - the network install version for PowerPC, CD/iso
  http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Hold down the C key while you power up to boot from the CD.
There may be a way to boot from a flash drive, but it seemed simpler to use a
real CD.  (and I had a CD-writer handy)

The install seemed vanilla.  It hung late in the process.  I forget what it
was doing.  Eventually, I gave up waiting and tried ^C, or Ctl-Alt-Del.
Something worked.  It rebooted.

--------

I've seen reports that some/all ARMs are bi-endian.  There is an instruction
to switch.  "All" you need to do is slip one in the right place in the boot
sequence.  I didn't investigate.  I think it was from a FreeBSD list.