Comments on Replacing C

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jan 11 08:27:01 UTC 2017

> I think this takes Erlang out of serious contention.  Which is annoying,
> because it means I can't justify taking the time to learn it, and I had been
> rather looking forward to that.

Maybe somebody else would be willing to put in some effort along that line.

Possibly crazy suggestion.  How about writing some sample code for each of
the languages/environments we are interested in.

The idea is to serve as an example in case we need to discuss details and
also so we can run it and collect some performance numbers and/or have a
starting place in case we want to try things.

I'm thinking of a simple/dummy server that just returns the system time and a
client that can send a request and print out the answer and another client
(or option) that will blast away to see how much traffic the server can
support.

They would be just toys, but they are likely to uncover fatal flaws if there
are any gross ones.

Step two would be to add some crypto.  Maybe some other bookkeeping type code
to make it slightly less toyish.

It would need an overall spec for what the toys had to do as well as a per
language note about how to set things up and pointers to the documentation
and such.