NTPsec leap second experience

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 9 20:33:15 UTC 2017

>> Dec 31 18:59:59 harbormaster ntpd[6653]: SHM: stale/bad receive time,
delay=-1s
> Do you know the source of the SHM error message in your logs?

The "ntpd[6653]" part is the program name and process ID.

When I want to find where a log message comes from, I use grep -r.  Sometimes
it takes a few tries to get the right text to search for - some of the text
may come via %s to printf.

[murray at hgm raw]$ grep "stale/bad receive time" . -r
./ntpd/refclock_shm.c:          DPRINTF(1, ("%s:SHM stale/bad receive time,
delay=%llds\n",
./ntpd/refclock_shm.c:          msyslog (LOG_ERR, "SHM: stale/bad receive
time, delay=%llds",
[murray at hgm raw]$

In this case, I am familiar enough with the code that I would probably guess
that a SHM message came from the SHM driver in ntpd/refclock_shm.c