Comments on Replacing C

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:35:31 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 6:47 PM Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:

> I think not.  Most of the threads will be servering clients.  All a
> thread needs to serve a client is the incoming packet and the current
> local time.  No locks needed for that.
>
> The client threads will prolly need some locking, but I doubt anyone
> has more than 40 refclocks or peers.
>
> The big win os for NTp servers with hundreds of clients.

That is the concurrency pattern that Erlang was designed for and wins at.

I am not recommending that we port NTPsec to Erlang, because the pool of
available Erlang programmers with time to contribute is too low.

However, if I was a telco, spending a man-year or two writing an open
source NTP server in Erlang as a lab project, and then upstreaming it into
the various telco grade ecosystems would be a good idea.

..m