NTPsec leap second experience

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 8 09:36:22 UTC 2017

ghane0 at gmail.com said:
> The P part is you saying: slight turn, not sharp turn

If you think of a thermometer with a knob rather than on-off, the P adjusts
the knob to get the right temperature.  But it doesn't quite get it right.
There has to be a difference between the actual temperature and the target
temperature.  That difference is what makes the heat.

> The I part is: you started the turn late, you will need to spin the steering hard now

The I part is roughly, "Wait a minute.  We've been close for a long time but
we aren't getting there."  If you integrate the error term you can get rid of
it.  Not in a math sense, it has an exponential tail, but eventually you get
close enough for engineering.