Testing

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 8 02:57:51 UTC 2017

We should start collecting a list of manual tests to run in preparation for a
release or after a major change.

One obvious one is to make sure that all of the refclocks work.  Some of them
have several modes and options so this can get complicated.

Another one from a recent discussion.  We should deliberately introduce an
error (using bumb in ntpfrob) and verify that the response is sane.  We
should probably do this on as many OSes as we can.  And starting at different
polling intervals.  ...

There are two or three regimes.  For a small offset, ntpd will slew the
clock.  For a larger offset, it will step the clock.  For a huge offset it
will panic and let a human sort things out.

Just going through that sort of testing has the benefit of getting people to
look somewhat carefully at graphs