RfC: grant gitlab "guest" just for the asking

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:16:27 UTC 2017

Hi!

We've had a couple of cases recently where potential contributors show up
on gitlab.com with a request to join the gitlab project as a developer.

Our preferred way to interact with additional contributors is via gitlab
pull requests.

However, people may be asking to join the gitlab project so they can open
bugs, and because they have been trained by other projects' workflow that
the way you start to participate is to get recognition on of the forge of
record.

GitLab has a ACL level of "guest", described at
https://gitlab.com/help/user/permissions

I think it may be productive to hand out Guest level access just for the
asking, for the sake of growing our community.

Before I dictact that as a new policy, what do the other contributors and
interested people think?

..m