INSTALL and buildprep

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Feb 23 09:13:26 UTC 2017

There is a tangle in this area, and I think you are the right one to sort it
all out.

buildprep is is the tip of an interesting iceberf.  It's good since it
contains some info in a form that is very easy to use.  But it's also evil
since all the associated comments that used to be in INSTALL have been lost.

buildprep is really just one of many chunks we would like to extract from
from the one central place.  What else would we like?

run time dependencies, both for install/setup and for tracking security issues
  (vulnerability tracking will get much more interesting as soon as we get
real crypto)
build time dependencies
files that should get installed, and where

The above vary depending on the OS/distro and if you are interested in with/without tools.

We probably want the option for crossbuilds.

I don't know if waf install should be updated to have a list-but-don't-install mode, or the install data should be put into this new central place and waf updated to use it.